The AR World Series unites in competition the world’s best endurance athletes at premiere Qualifier events around the globe. The racing calendar culminates annually at the AR World Championship where these teams compete for the title of World Champion. Each year a new location is chosen to host the AR World Championship.
The original and first Adventure Racing World Championship was held in Switzerland in 2001. It has grown to be the biggest adventure racing event in the world.
For the First time in the AR World Series history the World Championship will go to Africa. Expedition Africa will host the AR World Championship 2023.
For event details see host ARWC2030.com.
In the spirit of a true expedition teams are ‘unsupported’, forgoing the comfort and assistance of a support crew. They must meticulously plan all their equipment and sustenance before the race. They pre-pack these into a limited quantity of bags and boxes which are moved to various points on the course by the race organisers.
Transition bags will be provided by the Expedition Africa Organization
Bike Boxes will be provided by the Expedition Africa Race Organization
Paddle bags will be provided by the Expedition Africa Organization
KAYAKS/ PACK RAFTS
Kayaks will be provided by the Expedition Africa Race Organization.
Teams at the AR World Championship must include a minimum of THREE members of the same nationality. Competitors will prove their nationality at race registration by officials checking their passport is valid and issued by the country the team is representing. Competitors representing their country of residence, if different from their passport, must show suitable proof of residency. This rule is not applicable to the Qualifying rounds. Teams at the AR World Championship will represent one designated nation only, being the nationality of the majority of team members.
* Qualifier winning entries may passed down to another team if the winning team does not race at the ARWC. The winning spot /free entry can be rolled down to the 3 spot only. If a Qualifier winner has already paid an entry fee through the WORLD RANKING TEAM ENTRY or WILD CARD ENTRY or GENERAL ENTRY they will be refunded this fee. Qualifier winners must race the AR World Championship with a minimum of two members of the team who won entry.
*Adventure Racing World Championship winning team wins automatically a world championship entry as a prize for the following year championship.
* In the situation that a winning team of a Qualifier/Regional Championship already holds a free entry (e.g. from winning a previous Qualifier/Regional Championship race prior) then the free entry is passed to the next team as if they were the winner. If the next team also holds a free entry then it is passed again, until an eligible team is reached.
The first entry won by a team in this situation is the official free entry and they must race at the championship with a minimum of two members from that first team. Free entry cannot be split.
* Only ARWS Qualifiers and AR Regional Championships may offer a world championship entry as a prize.
The AR World Championship is the annual pinnacle of the sport and draws teams, supporters, spectators, sponsors, etc to the event. It creates a perfect platform for the adventure racing community to unite and collaborate.
• It hosts the annual Qualifier Expo where each international qualifier provides an information booth to promote their race to potential competitors and sponsors.
• The annual meeting and year-end function of ARWS race directors is also held at the AR World Championship.
• The International Adventure Racing Conference will be hosted on the last day of the event.
• See all information on the Expedition Africa host site expafrica.net
The AR World Championship is the annual pinnacle of the sport and draws teams, supporters, spectators, sponsors, etc to the event. It hosts the annual Qualifier Expo where each international qualifier provides an information booth to promote their race to potential competitors and sponsors. The annual meeting of race directors is also held on the final day of the AR World Championship.
Winners of each AR World Series Qualifier and Regional Championship receive a guaranteed spot and free entry to the next AR World Championship. *
Entry details to ARWC 2023 can be found through the host website – Expedition Africa
Adventure Racing World Championship 2024 has been confirmed and will be hosted by Huairasinchi, Ecuador in November 2024. www.arwc2024.com